Sunday, May 17, 2009

Happy Pop

My dad's father was my "pop" and dad was "pop" to my kids and I am "pop" to theirs. So I guess I come from a long line of "pops."

Somewhere out there in this picture is my oldest granddaughter.

I don't know exactly what the event was called but at her school they were having the kids compete in all sorts of athletic contests before the end of school that is coming up this next week.

My son and I were together at a lunch with some business associates and he got a text from his wife that his daughter was in a big relay race. We had time so we drove to school to watch. First thing I noticed was that it was hot and steamy and I wasn't dressed very good for it.

When we found my granddaughter she and her group had just completed the egg toss contest. This is where the boys and girls in the group pair up across from each other with each partner standing on a yard line marker of the football field. Then one partner tosses a raw egg at the other. If the egg is caught then the partner moves back 10 yards and tosses it back. The game continues until the egg breaks which usually makes a pretty big mess of the receiver's clothes.

So not only did my granddaughter want to hug me but several other girls wanted to hug me as well even though I did not know them. You get the idea I am certain that they didn't really want to hug me as much as they wanted to smear a little raw egg stuff on me.

There were all sorts of other contests. One group was shooting these water balloons with a big rubber sling shot like thing. Another was having a tug-of-war with a rope. Another was performing the song YMCA with appropriate choreography. Upon completion each group rotated then.

Everyone was having a pretty good time made even better by the occasional Popsicle break.

I had a lot of fun, too.

4 comments:

Staci said...

Sounds like a good time to me! I'm glad you got to share this with your family.

One question - how's that egg on your shirt? hee hee

I also want to note that the word for "word verification" on this post is.... popya. So fitting!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Staci, for letting me know about the word verification. How interesting.

I was glad I wasn't wearing an expensive shirt for certain!! The cleaners will take care of it though.

Lori1955 said...

Oh I wish you had a picture of you covered in egg.

The games sound like fun. I think I would have been tempted to join the kids. :)

arutherford said...

And why didn't anyone take a picture of you covered in egg?! I sight to behold, I'm sure.

And my word verification is "penal." ??? No comment.