Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Got My K2!!

It arrived a day early!

I was uncertain for a long time about buying the Kindle 2. After all we are in a recession or depression or economic downturn or something.

After listening to the President's speech last night I think we are in a bureaucratic nightmare that is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

But that's a different subject and I should not allow myself to stray too far from my subject.

Even when I decided to order the K2 I was uncertain whether I would use it myself since I really have gotten used to my old K1.

It arrived just before lunch via UPS. We know our UPS driver and think very highly of him. This is another digression but I was thinking when he arrived how nice it was to know people who do thins for us like UPS and USPS and the folks at Chili's and Starbucks. We know a few at Chick-Fil-A and several at the Tractor Supply and some from the City. I like that about our little community here. It really is what makes us a community.

So our UPS driver actually brought the package from Amazon inside for me and we signed his electronic tablet device. He watched as I hurriedly and quickly opened the package and took the K2 out of its packaging.

I let it charge while we were at lunch. It takes about 3 hours to fully charge. The charger is much improved now being the USB type. I like that much better than the old one.

The layout of the controls and how they operate and the size and feel all are improved. Some things are vastly improved. All are going to take me a bit of adjusting. But they are better.

The best thing has to be the Text-To-Speech software!!

Okay, it is not audio-book quality by any means. But I don't like audio-books. The TTS is definitely sufficiently good that I intend to let the thing read to me on the way home. And I never thought I'd do that.

I think Amazon has hit a home run with this thing.

Better than I expected. Easier to use. I am excited about it.

6 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I'm not surprised at all. I knew you couldn't resist an new toy. :)

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Now that's a look of a proud owner! Have fun and let us know how you like it:)

Staci said...

I'm glad to know of someone who's got one of these; I want one myself but it's a pretty sizeable purchase in this day and age, for something (books) I can get at the library for $0. I still want it, though!

~Betsy said...

I saw a piece about this new gadget on TV the other day. I instantly thought of you and something told me you would order it! :)

Enjoy!

Unknown said...

My daughter, Susie (Light Shiner), is getting my old Kindle. Susie's BFF is Staci (A Cheerful Heart). We are all readers.

Staci's mom was the first Christian mentor the Lord sent to teach me.

nancy said...

i'm not surprised at all either. good for you. i'm still saving up for one. one of the gals in my book club has the original version and it does look pretty awesome. keep us posted!