Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Nineteenth Ammendment 89th Anniversary

Today is the 89th anniversary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America.
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of sex.
I wrote more about it not long ago. But I noticed today that it was the anniversary and thought it was worth a reminder.

Still amazes me how short a time it has been that women could not vote.

2 comments:

dave said...

The founding fathers were good people who worked hard to make a workable plan, but their prejudices came through their work.
In so many ways it is sad that it took us so long to recognize the obvious.
And when did the last state agree that it was a good idea?
The year I became a grandfather, I believe!

Lori1955 said...

What I really find sad is that so many of us who have that right to vote, don't even use it.