Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Oklahoma Alzheimer’s patients can help test new drug

Oklahoma Alzheimer’s patients can help test new drug

Article in The Oklahoman by Susan Simpson - March 10, 2009

The web site for the study is http://www.icarastudy.com/

The drug is called Bapineuzumab, or Bapi. It is supposed to fight beta amyloid formation.

About 2,050 participants, 50 to 88, are being enrolled at some 200 sites across the US and Canada for the 83 week long study. Your patient has a 40% chance of getting a placebo. You have to attend 15 study events and have 6 infusions.

5 comments:

Lori1955 said...

I have to say that I am always discouraged by these trials when they say there is no "cure" for AD and that they are just trying to slow it down. Why aren't they trying to cure it???

Unknown said...

Well they are of course.

This study just has reached the phase where they can test it at this level.

I just can't help but wonder how I would ever have managed to get dad to have 6 infusions and attend 15 study events.

I really think it would never have been possible for us to participate in something like this.

He never did think there was anything wrong with him. He thought I was the one with problems.

dave said...

Terry, your father and my wife were cut from the same cloth. "They never did tell me that." They did, but she did not listen.
In a way I admire her spunk. If she does not admit there is a problem, at least in her head she can be well.

~Betsy said...

I highly doubt Mom would have gone to 15 study events or 6 infusions either. I had a hard enough time getting her to her Neurologist or GP. Sigh.

¸.•*´)ღ¸.•*´Chris said...

Mom would have asked 100 questions and then some about what was going on if we would have enrolled her into the case studies. We never did tell her she had AD. I think silently she knew as she had been a caregiver herself for my grandparents. She never asked and we never told her. We saw no point to it, in our situation.